Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Tuesday Triumph: Save Time Tying Packages

Continuing our Tuesday Triumph series I have another new old invention to share. Today- I could totally use a time saver. I wrapped 16 individual baby blocks yesterday. When I was done it looked like a pile of jewelry box sized presents all wrapped in brown paper and jute. Each Tuesday (at least most of them)- I have presented an early 1900's invention pulled from patent applications that were shared in old World’s Advance magazines (later became Popular Science).
Inventions remind us to stay clever and innovative. I read a lot of vintage texts (like Sherlock Holmes- free on my Kindle!) I imagine those early 1900's times as being full of opportunity for the next inventor. Perhaps in our old age we will look back on this time as being full of possibilities as well. I think the innovative creativity can still inspire us today, so please enjoy this Tuesday’s Triumph: as it Saves Time Tying Packages as published by the New York Modern Pub. Co. in Vol. 31 of the World’s Advance (1915).

Saves Time Tying Packages

“A package tying device, which will probably be of interest to mail order houses and magazines, is the subject of a recent patent. This device consists merely of a stamped fibre piece containing a number of slots into which the cord passes.”

You know- I'm sure I've seen gadgets like this somewhere. Are they still around? I suppose this would preclude you needing to keep an extra person hanging around so you could use their thumb at a moment's hesitation. Thumb please!

No comments:

Post a Comment