Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tuesday Triumph: Wood Graining Tool


Continuing our Tuesday Triumph series I have another new old invention to share. Each Tuesday… at least we have for a while now- presented an early 1900's invention pulled from patent applications that were shared in old World’s Advance magazines (later became Popular Science).
Inventions remind us to stay clever and innovative. I recently finished a few Sherlock Holmes novels and I imagine those early 1900's times as being full of opportunity for the next inventor. Perhaps in our old age we will look back on this time as being full of possibilities as well. I think the innovative creativity can still inspire us today, so please enjoy this Tuesday’s Triumph: Wood Graining Tool as published by the New York Modern Pub. Co. in Vol. 30  of the World’s Advance (1915).
 
Wood Graining Tool

“In one of the accompanying illustrations is shown a patented graining tool as well as specimens of its work. The tool carries a marking pad on its underside which is used in applying different grain markings on wooden surfaces.”

I Love It!!- Although these days people try to avoid the grain markings and make everything all slick and modern looking- but I can see how the texture could really add some dimension to certain pieces. I wonder if these are around today... 

No comments:

Post a Comment