Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday Triumph: A Safety Beam Grip and Dreams of Being a High-Rise Steel Worker


Continuing our Tuesday Triumph series I have another new old invention to share. Each Tuesday… at least we have for a while now- presented an early 1900's invention pulled from patent applications that were shared in old World’s Advance magazines (later became Popular Science).
Inventions remind us to stay clever and innovative. I recently finished a few Sherlock Holmes novels and I imagine those early 1900's times as being full of opportunity for the next inventor. Perhaps in our old age we will look back on this time as being full of possibilities as well. I think the innovative creativity can still inspire us today, so please enjoy this Tuesday’s Triumph: A Safety Beam Grip as published by the New York Modern Pub. Co. in Vol. 30  of the World’s Advance (1915).
A Safety Beam Grip

“A safety beam grip is the subject of a patent recently secured by a New York inventor. As shown in the accompanying sketch, his invention consists of a beam grip comprising two main pivoted members and two pivoted jaw pieces. The device is so designed that when the lifting power is exerted on the chain the jaws firmly grip the beam and cannot become loosened accidentally.”

I know a lot of inventions are related to preventing accidents that happened becuase of something going desperately wrong. I imagine that this was one of those times. In my imaginary bucket list I think I want to be a steel worker for high-rise construction. I know that sounds strange but it must be so freeing to get up and get so used to the height and the gentle or not so gentle sway of the building while you rivet and weld. It's like air-legs instead of sea-legs. Anyway- it's a goal of mine. I rememebr that photograph that pops up know and then from the New York times or someplacce that shows steel workers having lunch out at this rediculous location. Seems more invigorating than eating at the park to be eating at 110 stories while sitting on a beam you hopefully trust yourself enough ot have welded properly. 
"Lovely sandwich, thank you for sharing!" "Why thank you, it's my favorite- my husband packs them just for me in my special tin lunchbox! Please pass the soda...." 

I suspect that being a high-rise steel worker is much safer now than it was then to inspire inventions such as today's Tuesday Triumph... hmmm....messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment