Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tuesday Triumph: Drawing Board Support

It's pretned day. I'm pretneding that my family hasn't caught some strange-o summer bug and we didn't lose two days of the week. Therefore- I'm totally in time to post this week's Tuesday Triumph! Presto! (I always heard it's easy to make your own reality in virtual-land but why I'd change the day of the week and not get an instant ab six-pack is beyond me.)


So without further ado...
Continuing our Tuesday Triumph series I have another new old invention to share. Each Tuesday… at least we have for a while now- presented an early 1900's invention pulled from patent applications that were shared in old World’s Advance magazines (later became Popular Science).
Inventions remind us to stay clever and innovative. I recently finished a few Sherlock Holmes novels and I imagine those early 1900's times as being full of opportunity for the next inventor. Perhaps in our old age we will look back on this time as being full of possibilities as well. I think the innovative creativity can still inspire us today, so please enjoy this Tuesday’s Triumph: 
Electric Light Moulding as published by the New York Modern Pub. Co. in Vol. 31 of the World’s Advance (1915).
Electric Light Moulding

“A New York inventor has just patented a combination wood and metal moulding which, while possessing the neat appearance and ease of installation of the wooden moulding formerly in use, has practically the same electrical qualities as the present metal moulding required by the Fire Underwriters. By studying the illustration it will be observed that the wooden moulding has a metal facing with grooves for holding the wires. The capping also has a metal surface on the side that faces the wire. Special metal pieces are employed at corners and adjacent sections for making electrical connections between the different lengths of moulding.”



I'm trying desperately to imagine how safe this must have been. I can't figure out if the moulding itself made the electrical connections or if there are just grooves to hold a wire. I fear my original assumption may be correct. If they were stringing wire it would have been on top of the existing plaster and it was likely uncoated- leaving the wood as the insulator. Sheesh. It's no wonder fire seemed more prevalent with early electricity installs. I recently finished reading a book on Nicola Tesla (yes- I'm a geek and not even undercover) as some of his more pioneering projects in wireless electricity transmissions. Now wouldn't that be cool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment