Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Tuesday Triumph: Wall Papering Machine

Continuing our Tuesday Triumph series I have another new old invention to share. Each Tuesday… at least for a while… I’d like to present an invention from the early 1900’s that I have pulled from old World’s Advance magazines. This was the publication that bought out and is now Popular Science. Inventions remind us to stay clever and innovative. These inventions were becoming popular alongside many events that still affect us today. Put yourself back to the time of World War I, and the sinking of the Titanic. Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity was published, and the first pop-up bread toaster was invented. It was a time before zippers and right at the start of the movie industry. I think the innovative creativity can still inspire us today, so please enjoy this Tuesday’s Triumph: Wall Papering Machine as published by the New York Modern Pub. Co. in Vol. 30  of the World’s Advance (1915).

Wall Papering Machine

“A rather ingenious machine has recently been patented by a Kansas inventor for use in applying wall paper directly from the roll to the wall with practically no manual labor. As seen in the illustration, the device consists essentially of a framework, a paste receptacle opening at its bottom to a roll over which passes the back of the wall paper fed from a roll, and lastly, a suitable cylinder for neatly pressing the paper in place. The invention is cleverly worked out.”

 

Oh yes- very clever. I'm painting my daughter's room right now and I can tell you that one of these, as a robot, with paint instead of wallpaper would sell me. Just think if there was an attachemnt for faux finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment