Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Tuesday Triumph: A Convenient Match Box

Continuing our Tuesday Triumph series I have another new old invention to share. Each Tuesday… at least for a while… I’d like to present an invention from the early 1900’s that I have pulled from old World’s Advance magazines. This was the publication that bought out and is now Popular Science. Inventions remind us to stay clever and innovative. These inventions were becoming popular alongside many events that still affect us today. Put yourself back to the time of World War I, and the sinking of the Titanic. Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity was published, and the first pop-up bread toaster was invented. It was a time before zippers and right at the start of the movie industry. I think the innovative creativity can still inspire us today, so please enjoy this Tuesday’s Triumph: A Convenient Match Box as published by the New York Modern Pub. Co. in Vol. 31 of the World’s Advance (1915).

A Convenient Match Box

“A novelty in the matter of match boxes is presented in the invention of a Connecticut inventor. His device consists of two hollow members which fit one within the other. One end of each tube is closed and finished with a knurled edge, while slots of similar size are cut in the sides of each tube. When a match is desired it is only necessary to turn the tubes around so that the slots coincide, the contents of the match box being then emptied one by one.”

 

I guess this one reminds me of those straw dispensers only smaller and for the pocket. I wonder what else I could dispense...

No comments:

Post a Comment