Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Tuesday Triumph: The Combined Table and Settee

 

Continuing our Tuesday Triumph series I have another new old invention to share. Each Tuesday… at least for a while… I’d like to present an invention from the early 1900’s that I have pulled from old World’s Advance magazines. This was the publication that bought out and is now Popular Science. Inventions remind us to stay clever and innovative. These inventions were becoming popular alongside many events that still affect us today. Put yourself back to the time of World War I, and the sinking of the Titanic. Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity was published, and the first pop-up bread toaster was invented. It was a time before zippers and right at the start of the movie industry. I think the innovative creativity can still inspire us today, so please enjoy this Tuesday’s Triumph: The Combined Table and Settee as published by the New York Modern Pub. Co. in Vol. 31 of the World’s Advance (1915).

The Combined Table and Settee

Combined Table and Setee

“A broad settee, which in the twinkle of an eye can be converted into a broad, solid table, has been patented by a New York inventor. Unlike its prototype, the innocent looking centre table, which can be changed by a hand twist into a poker table, or vice versa, this invention is intended for purely domestic purposes, where space is limited. The table top, when not in use, slides and folds back of the seat by means of an ingenious arrangement of hinges. To convert the bench into a table, the back board is swung up and over, fitting in grooves cut in the arms.”

 

I think this is the early 20th Century Ikea. I wish I had more transforming furniture- I would use it all the time. I would appreciate drawers under my kitchen chairs and telescoping panels that seem to come from nowhere. It would be like living in a Rube Goldberg machine. Dangerous but happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment